1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tips for someone who is making an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carsNchickens, Jun 14, 2011.

1. carsNchickens

carsNchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    im currently constructing my DIY egg incubator. So far I've got a 30 quart rubbermaid container, lamp fixture, digital thermometer with temp. and humity settings, as well as some 1/4 inch mesh fencing for organization within the incubator. ive have researched some guidelines for hatching chicken eggs and would like some input on how to get the most successful hatch. I've heard that 99.5 degrees is the ideal temp. as well as 60% humidity. is this information correct?

2. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I just made a homemade incubator and put 8 eggs in today...everything I read said 60% humidity...but after tonight's thread (I think it was called "incubator issues") I will check. I have now dropped my humidity from 60% down to 45%...

I just did the Styrofoam, with dimmer switch to control the heat, etc...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
  4. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I also built my own incubator:), day 3 and i saw signs of life in my eggs:yiipchick. I'm following a thread here that said not to worry about humidity antil lockdown soooo will see.
    good luck
    Ayda
    [​IMG]

5. bhazell123

bhazell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    [​IMG]
    That's my three day old quail baby I made my own incubator too [​IMG] good luck

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    That is way [​IMG] cool! Thanks for posting!!
    Ayda

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    NICE!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Mine, now I just use it as a brooder. I have a dimmer switch on the end.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. woody743

woody743 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Franklin Ohio
    I think the temp. should be 100.9 if you dont have a fan.

9. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Quote:As far as humidity, that is a debate that still rages on. I'm using the dry hatch method. My humidity is running around 35% for incubating, and I'll up it to 70% for lockdown. Dry hatchers seem to agree that the higher humidity during incubation (50-60%) leads to the chick drowning in the egg once it pips. The higher humidity level during incubation does not seem to allow for enough evaporation in the egg, so when the chick pips into the air cell, the excess fluid rushes in there and drowns the chick. But, I'll also note, I'm a newbie working with my first hatch. What I have just mentioned is some of the information that I have been reading over the course of the past 2 weeks.

10. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    here is my incubator with a few looks at some of the eggs that hatched in it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] here's all the pics i have of it i had a 9 out of 9 hatch rate with my own chicken eggs i used the dry hatching method for this hatch

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by