Tips for transporting hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coloradowildflower, Feb 21, 2017.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    I'm getting ready to do my first incubation in early March, and I'll be picking up the eggs and bringing them home from about 5 hours away. Any tips on how best to pack/transport them? Are they okay in just a carton? Should they be bubble wrapped? What about temperature? Obviously, I want to give them the best chance at hatching!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How rough are the roads? Several years back I picked up 30 hatching eggs but only got 10 to hatch. I’m sure it was because I just set the cartons on the floor of the car and shook them up on those really rough gravel roads full of potholes. No padding under the cartons or in it. If they’d been up on the car seat instead of on the floor they’d probably have been better off, but even better would have then setting on something soft, like a few towels, on that seat.

If your roads are smooth, it’s not as important. I don’t think you need to bubble wrap each egg individually, but cushion the carton and maybe put something like cloth in the carton so they don’t rattle inside the carton.

Keep them out of direct sun, maybe drape a towel over them. You don’t want them heating up. Don’t leave them in a hot car so they can cook. And transport them pointy side down. You want that air cell to stay on the round end.

Good luck with the hatch!

3. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Awesome tips, Ridgerunner! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by