Tips for Wet Weather (Pacific Northwest)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Aunt LoLo, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Aunt LoLo

Aunt LoLo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Ok, peeps - chime in. I have a small flock (7 birds) in my backyard. They have a comfy, cozy coop, and a fenced in area to run around in. I'm slowly adding sand to the run, to try and keep the mud down, but I live in the Pacific Northwest, and the RAINS HAVE ARRIVED. Expect grey skies and wet ground for the next 9 months.

Any other Seattle chicken mamas and papas out there that want to share tips with me? The run, at this point, is mud. I rake it out every few days, to get out any plant matter they don't want to eat. This helps to keep the whole run from just turning into muddy clay. Any other ideas??

Thanks!!!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The best solution to mud is more sand , making it about 6" at least. Build up the side of the run with boards, and turn the run into a "sand BOX" so it can drain, and the sand can't just spread out

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  3. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I also live in the Pacific Northwest and I just cover my runs with tarps, really big tarps.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by