tips on bantam wyandotte egg sellers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by xyresicchick, May 12, 2010.

1. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I just hatched out some wyandotte eggs i got from a seller on this site however the eggs he sent me, half were porous, and i'm pretty sure the rest were weak from rolling around in the bag they were shipped in.... (they were shipped in were bubble wrapped but they werent secure in the package, so while they werent broken, i attribute my poor hatch to this...) out of 9 eggs only two hatched. 4 of those were porous and one had a loose bubble inside and those did not even develope at all. the 4 that were not pourous developed, but 2 were weaker and just never hatched. i am thinking of finding someone else who has bantam wyandottes, any tips on egg sellers on here that you've had good hatch rates with after shipping?

maybe this was just with my eggs, but i felt like there really should have been a better turnout. and i would have liked to think that people candle their eggs to check the shells before sending them out. maybe this person thought i wouldn't notice this because i am a chicken newbie? idk...

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know what you mean by porous shells but I do know I suck at candling. I just cannot figure that out no matter how I try to do it in our dark bathroom with a flashlight and toilet paper cone. I do know all my roo's service their hens though and that my roo's are not sterile. I hatch out my own chicks or let my hens do so and have never been able to get good results from shipped eggs because I live so far away from everyone down in the states. I also wasn't familiar w/the large incubator I use until last Fall after buying and receiving shipped eggs in the mail and failing to hatch any at all. The thing about my own eggs from my own birds is I pressure cook fish with the bones in for calcium which makes the birds very healthy and happy but if I do not help the chicks out or if the hens do not help them out, their egg shells are too hard and the chicks pitiful cry for help would make any grown up cry, too.

There are many reasons a hatch does not come out 100% like we hope but we either accept those factors when we decide to try hatching shipped eggs. It is very cold in the belly of an airplane way up there in the sky for one consideration... I know how let down one feels but I would never lay blame on a person/shipper as there are too many reasons/factors out of our control when we decide to try shipping and hatching fertile eggs. Hugs to you and congratulations that you did get anything at all to hatch:) I wasn't that sucessful;)

3. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    A porous shell is a speckled shell before incubation. usually when a shell is porous, bacteria gets inside easily and infects the egg.

this is an example of a porous shell. and as i said 4 of mine were like this.
    [​IMG]

still hoping for tips on wyandotte egg sellers.

Last edited: May 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by