Tips on breaking broodiness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Colorado Chick, May 5, 2016.

1. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Hi all, I have a buff Orpington that has gone Broody for the first time. I've read about Broody boxes, and it sounds like a good idea that I will try. But I simply wanted to ask you if you had any other tips. Thanks so much!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Either the box or some can just be relocated, or the nest blocked. All the other things like dunking and ice cubes are nonsense and vaguely abusive. 3 days in a wire bottom crate will break most. You will learn to tell when they are starting to get broody and can get them in there sooner. They will break quicker when caught early. They will stop making that cluck cluck noise. Your goal is to not allow them to sit tight and heat up which fuels the hormones.

1 person likes this.
  3. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    Ok, thank you for telling me about the heating up/hormone bit, I had no idea! I make the cage tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.
    Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks so much. I actually was dreaming about using one of these cages during the middle of the night! I guess I'm a true chicken nerd if I'm doing that! Thanks!

6. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    The new Broody breaker! Found a parrot cage at lift up for 4$! Every one but bossy cow is intrigued with it! And yes that is her real name :)

7. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    Well the pic didn't post, so now to figure that out

8. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    everyone but Bossy Cow is interested in the cage!

9. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    im considering lining the bottom of the cage with 1/4 hardware cloth. to help prevent tenderness and bumble foot.

10. msazeeta

msazeeta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Concord, CA
    As soon as my girl goes broody I remove her and all eggs from the nesting box. It was only a one day thing with my girl and as soon as she cooled off she went right back to her normal cheerful self. I tried putting her in a cage but this upset the whole flock. They're super sensitive and want to be together all of the time. I think as long as you remove her and deny her access to the coop she will stop trying. They won't go broody if there is no access to eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by