tips on Broodiness

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by youngchooklover, Feb 12, 2013.

1. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    I have be trying to make my chickens go broody. I have a Australia langshan bantam, a silky hen and some ISA browns. How can I make any broody? The cluckiest one is my Australia langshan bantam; when we put her in the seperate coop she sits on them for a bit and then she takes a hour break.

PLEASE HELP!

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi :) Best way is to leave some dummy eggs or some golf balls in the nest box. This should encourage broodiness. It will also allow you to establish whether or not the hen is seriously broody and will sit for days instead of hours. She may sit for hours then get up for an hour then back on, this means she isn't properly broody yet.

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I just recently made my frizzle go broody, I just left HER eggs in the nest each day (only hers) so after about 10 days (10 eggs) she went broody. Also if you get one broody you will certainly more, i swear it's courageous.lol.

4. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    cool

5. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    can poo get on the eggs and is it bad

6. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

a broody should get off the nest to poo. If she doesnt, and she poos on the eggs that she is sitting on, then the eggs should be carefully cleaned with a damp piece of tissue or something. Some people throw the eggs out if poo gets on them because it can cause infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by