Tips on growing sunflowers...

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by PirateGirl, May 7, 2018.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist Premium Member

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I want to garden, but the weather's been bipolar and seems to snow whenever I have a day off work. At least this year it's kept me from planting anything prematurely.

I have many challenges here beside the weather and I am trying to learn what actually grows and take tips from those who have had more success than I. (I planted catmint last year on a neighbor recommendation and the prairie dogs naturally don't eat it and it's already starting to grow back this year!)

I have noticed sunflowers growing successfully at other homes in the town last summer and thought maybe this is something I could grow, and while not the vegetable I lust for, it's not just eye candy either because the chickens would love the seeds.

Any tips on planting, growing, harvesting sunflowers? How do you choose what kind? Is there a kind that's better for chickens? A kind that's better in cold climates/short growing season?

2. Dani & Mikey

Dani & Mikey Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Hartwood, Virginia
    I can say this; when they say they will get up to 12’ they mean it! The first year I grew sunflowers I essentially made a canopy over the garden. So my advice is choose the type and the spot where you plant carefully!
    Here’s a picture from that year. See the tomatoes begging for some sun? Oops.
    81C55736-5AAA-4F11-B892-5EB8FF8F7D22.jpeg

boz, Beer can, RUNuts and 7 others like this.
  3. Jamie Molihan

Jamie Molihan Songster

Apr 13, 2018
    Cleveland
    wow, those are big plants. Poor tomatoes....

4. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    What sort of soil depth do they need? I'm debating between 2 spots on my property.

ChickenLady2014 likes this.
  5. Dani & Mikey

Dani & Mikey Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Hartwood, Virginia
    I put the seeds in about an inch deep and at the end of the year the root balls on those suckers were bigger than basketballs! Our soil is pretty rich and loose so it worked well in the garden. A little too well...

6. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    @Dani & Mikey I'm just debating if they can go in one of my raised beds or if it won't be deep enough. I don't know if the roots grow down more or out more or equally in both directions?

7. Dani & Mikey

Dani & Mikey Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Hartwood, Virginia
    Hmm. I am by no means an expert but it seemed to me that the roots grew equally in all directions. The root ball was totally round. Raised beds should work fine! Plus, there are lots of kinds of sunflowers that don’t grow to insane heights. I went with some of those this year.
    ;)

8. bowden123

bowden123 Hatching

May 9, 2018
    Sunflower roots spread widely and can withstand some drought. However, it is best to water them regularly during their most important growth period which is about 20 days before and after flowering. Deep, regular watering helps encourage root growth, which is especially helpful with taller sunflower varieties bearing top-heavy blooms.

9. RUNuts

RUNuts Crowing

May 19, 2017
    Eastern Houston
    I planted Mammoth Sunflowers this year. They are at 6' and starting to bud. The 12' are impressive. Definitely give them plenty of space. Raised beds will just make them taller. If you are growing chicken feed, plant the BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) and let the chickens clean up.

Mine will eat the petals off the Black-eyed Susans. These are a smaller sunflower relative.

PirateGirl and ChickenLady2014 like this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I use sunflowers as row markers in my garden. There is some talk about them being aleopathic, but I will neither agree or disagree with that statement.

Beer can likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by