Tips on Hatching call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MasterOfClucker, Jun 11, 2019.

1. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Hello

I currently have a Broody Rounen duck that has been sitting for 25 days on six Call ducks eggs.I've helped hatched plenty of normal sized ducks before but have never hatched call ducks and from what i hear they are fairly hard to hatch even under a mother.The eggs are from my call ducks and they are show quality so they barley even have a neck.So im suspecting there going to have a hard time hatching.

I plan on making a safety hole if there is no progress 12 hours after the internal pip and assisting afterward if need be.If any call ducks hatchers have any other helpful pointers to a successful hatch it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Don't panic because they hatch best without interference....
    Also too much calcium fed makes Call eggs too hard to pip.

HuffleClaw and MasterOfClucker like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Hopefully others who have similar Calls that have a hard time hatching due to shorter bills than other calls will be here shortly to help.

5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I do assist calls when I'm incubating them, but my momma ducks are great at hatching them on their own. I've actually seen them assist ducklings too. I just had one momma hatch 100% (10 ducklings) last week, and another hatched 6 with the last egg being DIS, just a couple days ago. She had scraped part of the shell off the last egg, I could tell it hadn't been done by the duckling, but for some reason, it died anyway.

Anyway, I would be cautious to help her too much, let her try on her own, but be ready if she needs it.

Do you have an incubator, just in case?

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I don't have a incubator.She was a great mother years ago so im not too worried of her rejecting them.Also how often do you guys candle there eggs around this stage of development.

quackiemama and casportpony like this.
  7. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    This late in the game, I don't bother them unless she comes off the nest. Then I may quickly candle the eggs. But if she doesn't mind you messing with them, you can candle if you want.

8. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    they are so stinkin' cute.... :D

IMG_5125.JPG IMG_5182.JPG IMG_5186.JPG

9. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
  10. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yes they are!

Cant wait till they hatch.They should be Pure bred Snowies and Snowy x Appleyard mixes.I will candle tomorrow night and post back if they have internally piped.

Here's a picture of the broody two years ago in a swampy pond.(She is the one on the left)

Chickens 012.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: