Tips on how to save on feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheHappyHen21, Mar 24, 2016.

1. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    I have 8 Jersey Giants 1 Rooster and 7 Hens. I also Have 1 Duck and 1 Silki Hen who is sitting on 6 eggs whos are not hers. I have 15 chicks in the brooder and soon to be also 8 Light Brahma Chicks. I feed Purina Layena Chicken Mash. Course i feed Chick Starter to my babies. I can afford my chickens but was wondering what i can do to help save on the feed. They do not free range. My Jerseys have a Pen hooked to there coop and my other breeds will also. As i plan on selling chicks in the future and eggs as they are in demand in my area. My chicks are Marans, Easter eggers and Olive Eggers and like i said also Light Brahmas Soon.

So what do you do? Save on feed without free ranging?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Put everyone on the same feed (a grower ration) - offer free choice oyster shell for the laying birds to take as needed/wanted -- this saves in that you are now only buying one feed, vs. multiple feeds. To further stretch the feed budget, consider feeding fermented feed - there are some great discussions on it here on BYC.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by