1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tips on introducing a new goat....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rhondax6, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    We have a four month old wethered pygmy mix and just got a wethered nigerian dwarf recently weaned. Our pygmy has horns, the nigerian does not. Our pygmy is not a very gracious host and is jabbing the little one in an aggressive way. Any tips on improving the situation?

Thank you for any help anyone can offer!

Rhonda

[​IMG]

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    With the age difference they are going to have a pecking order fight to see who is boss. As long as it dont get to bad I would let them duck it out for a while and then give the little guy some time to recoop. I would also before that have the little 1 in a pen where the other 1 can see him and that way they can get used to each other.
    This is what goats do when a new 1 comes into the herd, it sounds normal but if the older 1 gets too agressive it can hurt the younger baby. Sometimes it last a new hrs and sometimes it never stops. Hope this helps some...

3. Rhondax6

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Thank you for that info! Phinehas, the pygmy, is going to get balls on his horns today and we'll let them spend some time together. Right now they are where they can see each other but not in the same pen. Thanks again!

Rhonda

4. hearthnsoul

hearthnsoul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Tennis balls :) drill a hole in them, apply glue to horns and stick em on. Looks silly but other goat will be safe

5. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:Now that's an idea I'm going to remember. Safe and entertaining.

Great suggestion!

6. Rhondax6

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    The balls are about to go on!

7. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

you can also create an escape for the nigi. I use dog kennels and cut livestock panels to fit. Cut out a hole just big enough for the littlest one to climb through. I do this with the kids when I introduce them to the herd.

8. Rhondax6

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Great idea calgal, thank you.

Rhonda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by