Tips on keeping my muscovy hens safe from him?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animals1981, Apr 5, 2009.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    OKay i just moved my 3 ducks one drake 2 females into a new shed it is 8 by 10 feet.

ANy tips on ways i can make it so the females can escape him if they dont wanna mate anymore? They are faster aren't they?

their wings are clipped tho for now so they can really fly well.

I am keeping them locked in it for a week or so to get them use to it before i let them out so they will come back at night to sleep in it

I just dont wanna end up with 2 over mated ducks in the mean time! But the times ive seen him mate with them they dont really seem to be fighting back or trying to stop him so im assuming they like it??

I just love my ducks so much i am over protective of them and wanna make sure no one is unhappy.

thanks

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    also is my new shed big enough for the 3 to be happy?

It has no run because i only want to use it as a night roost

IT is very beautiful with wood floor and a couple of windows very well lite and ventilated!

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I don't know your birds, is the drake huge in comparision to the hens? My drake was so I built tunnels out of hay/straw bales sized so the hens could scoot in fast but the drake couldn't get his broad 'sholders' thru. Some times the hens would hide all day. BTW once I determined the right size I cut plywood with holes because he was tunneling in after them. I also had at least 2x tunnels than hens so he couldn't just cut them off at the pass so to speak. When it came time I would see the hens sneak in there for a half hour or so and sure enough they had done some enlargement of the tunnel walls to make their nest areas. They laid there and they set there and hatched there. No one could bother them but me or another hen and we had a fight if we were not welcome!
    They nest in holes in trees in the wild and the theory is that the hens had to stay small to be able to find suitable holes.
    PS they liked to roost or just sit around on the roof that I put on to keep to keep the bales dry, just plywood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by