Tips on keeping them cool on a hot day?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nonny, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's hot and windy here today and my poor girls are suffering and it's not even Summer yet. They have fresh water hanging in the shade, and I've strung up a tarp to give them extra shade, plus today I got the hose out and misted water over the sneaky little shoots coming up from the stump of a tree we cut down - they're only a few feet tall yet and I've left them in there for shade for now. I was hoping the moisture on the leaves might act a bit like air conditioning for a while... but of course within minutes it's all dry again. Anything else I can try to help the girls cool off a little? (I did try to mist the chooks with the hose as well but they seemed less than impressed LOL)

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I gave mine frozen nectarines. They loved them.

3. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hmmm... I don't have any of those, but I do have a bag of frozen peas/corn/carrot. I might chuck the whole lot in a bowl of water for them and then they'll have the cold water to drink afterwards. [​IMG]

Thanks for the idea!

4. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Absolutely, the nectarines were just what I happened to have a bunch of frozen. They loved eating the cold fruit and it seemed to help make them a lot more comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Heat is not an issue for me right now. [​IMG]

Last summer, people mentioned freezing bottles/jugs of water for the chickens. And making a cool shallow pool for them to wade in.

Imp

6. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hehe... yeah it seemed odd to be posting about keeping them cool when there were already lots of threads on adding warmth for winter. It's sitting on about 90 here at nearly 4pm and the wind is sucking the moisture out of everything and blowing loads of dust around. [​IMG]

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I put a large baking dish in the run for them to stand in and drink from. They will love most cool treats like watermellon (a favorite), peas, cold cooked spinach, yogurt, etc... I add a splash of Gatoraid to their water if they look especially over heated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Well I hope your chickens are OK.

I really shouldn't complain. I am fortunate enough to live in a very moderate climate. Don't think we have seen 90*F in a couple years. Don't remember if I have ever been in blowing dust. Raining sideways-Yes.

Imp

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Swimming pool... my girls love it!
    [​IMG]

10. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    OK, I hunted high and low and the biggest "pool" I could find was a saucer from under a planter - it's about 50cm wide so I've filled it with water and frozen veges for them. Will go and see if I can find a bigger one tomorrow. Going to be a long hot summer methinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by