Tips on raising chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ferven, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Ferven

Ferven New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    New England
    I have two 3 week old Barred Rock chicks, both are female. I want them to be friendly when they grow up so I was wondering if there are any things i should do/ should not do?
    My other chickens don't like getting too close to humans and they don't like being picked up. Four of them are RIRs and the other is some mix of somethings.
    Is there a way to get chickens to like being picked up and held or does it depend on what the chicken is like? My chicks don't really like being picked up so i try not to do it more then i have to, should i be doing it more to get them used to it?
    Also, what are some good treats to give them? i heard that they liked plain yogurt.

Any advice would help [​IMG] Thanks

[​IMG]

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Handle them at this age a lot. Sit with them in the coop if space allows. TREATS, TREATS, TREATS!!!

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Mine LOVE raisins, scratch grains, scrambled eggs, pancakes.

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I start off initially by getting them to follow me (imprinting). I pick them up a lot when they are little. -sing to them every evening at roosting time, also (at which my family laughs - a lot). I sit on the ground with them while they're out pecking about, and they usually will stay very near. They also like to hop up and roost on my shoulder, arms, and head. -hilarious! They become very acclimated to being around humans. Also, when I begin singing to them, they start making their little "roosting sounds" (and now that they're old enough to be in the coop - they follow me to the coop when I sing). -just routine stuff and daily contact....nothing more. Spend as much time as possible with your chicks. -and I agree with the poster above - sit in the coop with them if space permits. (yogurt should be fine for a treat. -didn't give my chicks treats until they were about 10 weeks old or so. -just stuck to their starter feed. -certain that others with more experience than I can advise on good treats for your sweet ones.)

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There's quite a few things you can give as treats. Just be careful with salty and sugary food! Too much salt can poison a chicken. Mealworms are great and much loved by chickens of all ages. We catch crickets for ours and they'll eat themselves to a standstill if we get a good portion for them LOL During the warmer months I leave a corrugated sink sheet lying flat on the ground near where they roam and after a few weeks I call them and flip it over. Chicken TV at it's best! This chart will give you some ideas. Just remember if they do not go out sometime to scratch in the dirt, to give them some grit to help them digest the food.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There's quite a few things you can give as treats. Just be careful with salty and sugary food! Too much salt can poison a chicken. Mealworms are great and much loved by chickens of all ages. We catch crickets for ours and they'll eat themselves to a standstill if we get a good portion for them LOL During the warmer months I leave a corrugated sink sheet lying flat on the ground near where they roam and after a few weeks I call them and flip it over. Chicken TV at it's best! This chart will give you some ideas. Just remember if they do not go out sometime to scratch in the dirt, to give them some grit to help them digest the food.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

7. Ferven

Ferven New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    New England
    Thanks guys, i tried feeding them some cherry tomatoes. Cinder loved them but i don't know about Spore. i think that Spore would like yogurt more because its easier to eat and maybe a little less confusing lol, or more confusing, i don't know.

anyway, my dad said that i shouldn't feed them anything else tonight because it would mess up their diet and end up hurting them. He said that its because such a change in an animals diet isn't normal and could mess with it... is that true? will it hurt my chicks to experiment with other treats to see what they like?

8. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    nm, my screen didnt scroll up. at only 3 weeks i wouldnt worry about treats, make sure they eating what they need to grow but offer fruits and veggies (not treats)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. mrsTpratt

mrsTpratt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    do 2 week old chicks need grit? and what is the grit?

10. mrsTpratt

mrsTpratt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    for treats so far we've done scrambled egg, grass, a random bug (which was funny to watch!) crickets, and a frog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by