Tips on Scaring Away a Racoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ilovemyladies!, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Since I don't have a live trap, although I'm looking for one, is turning on the radio and locking up help? And what are some more ideas on scaring it away?

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

the radio will keep them away for a while and then they get used to it and locking up will help XXXXXXXX1000000000 times a million [​IMG]

3. Gotta Love the Drake

Gotta Love the Drake Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Cloaked Romulan Warbird
    A big dog. Or an electric fence.

4. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Like awhile as in the whole night or say a couple of hours?

5. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    And we have 3 big labradors and 3 little mutts but I do gotta say they are doing their jobs [​IMG]

6. My11BabyChicks

My11BabyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    check out Zareba.com

We got out electric fence from them after we lost 7 hens to a raccoon.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Most people lock their chickens in a VERY secure coop all night. Raccoons will hunt during the day, but a secure coop at night is the best deterrent. All night.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Hot wire is an excellent deterrant. Works for everything else too, not just coons.

9. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Ilovemyladies! :

And we have 3 big labradors and 3 little mutts but I do gotta say they are doing their jobs [​IMG]

My 15 year old lab died on February 3rd. Within a week all my ducks were killed and by spring I had lost over 50 chickens. I never had a problem while she was alive. Now I have everything locked up tight.​

10. The only surefire way to keep away a raccoon is to off it. Without a live trap, you have to use the frontiersman trick. Get a board with a hole in it and hammer in two nails at an angle like this: \\ / beneath them place something shiny. Raccoons hoard shiny things. Place it by a water source or known raccoon source. Eventually you will find a raccoon sitting there, trapped, because of his lust for shiny and unwillingness to let it go even though there are nails impeding his hand. At this point shoot the no-good SOB before he eats more of your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by