Tips on working with a mean 2 year old rooster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

hysop

RIP Ryder (2022) & Hammy (2019)
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia
I know there are many articles on how to tame a rooster online. We got ours as a chick from TSC back in March of 2018. So he’s getting close to 2 years old.

Since he was part of our first ever flock and we didn’t know much about caring for chickens then, we made the mistake of not really handling them as chicks. I love my rooster despite him having attacked both of my kids and me and my husband and my mother in law! (My husband is the only one that has been attacked more than once).

My husband wants to cook him, but I keep wanting to give him a chance because he’s our first ever rooster and he’s done an awesome job at protecting his flock.

Does anyone have tips or stories of mean roosters being tamed? Or am I going to have to put him on the chopping block by (next) winter (gonna try to see if I can hatch a rooster from his line)?

Update** Thank you everyone for the advice and input. Unfortunately after making small progress the rooster ended up going back to attacking and I could not risk his spurs hurting my kids. He got culled. He did leave behind 3 offspring that I will see if they will be a good replacement or if they will be culled too.

Last edited:
When it comes to roosters and kids, I put kids first. Depending on the age of the kids it he were mine, he would be invited to dinner.

He and his flock are put up for now. They have plenty of coop and run space. I’d love for them to free range but my kids are young I don’t trust the meanie rooster with them even if I’m supervising because he’s not scared of getting swatted at with a stick or anything!! Guess you’re right.

I have penned bad boys up on a table about waste high. I spend time in close proximity to the bird taking pains to not react to anything he does. As he relaxes I get closer to the pen eventually close enough he can reach me.

The aggression may be due to a range of possible causes that are not necessarily genetic. Learned because gets more food. Pecking order where you are part of order. Reaction you you as a threat to his family (hens of harem, offspring).

Guess he’ll stay in his run space until I have a replacement roo for his flock (or possibly sooner). Sigh. Thank you. I’m not super duper attached but since he is my first rooster I wanted him to be good, but at least he’ll fill my tummy. Thank you.

@centrarchid

We’ve been able to tame him in the past, but his behavior has reverted once again. Not sure if it’s because we have him penned up and he can’t free range. I just wanted to see if someone had had success with a particularly mean rooster.

Guess he’ll stay in his run space until I have a replacement roo for his flock (or possibly sooner). Sigh. Thank you. I’m not super duper attached but since he is my first rooster I wanted him to be good, but at least he’ll fill my tummy. Thank you.
Keeping difficult roosters takes a little positive experience. Swap him out.

Our first rooster was an awful beast, who attacked everyone at every opportunity. We didn't have small children here then, and put up with him way too long! Risking serious injury to anyone, and a child loosing an eye, just isn't good. He needs to be dinner, or at least dead, ASAP.
His offspring may inherit his lovely personality too. Not good.
Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom