Tips on taming chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantamFan4Life, Sep 18, 2012.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Does anyone have any tips on taming chickens?

2. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Are these grown birds you have acquired?
    Give some more info on what you have.
    Chickens respond to a routine and are not going to be lap birds unless you have handled them as chicks.
    I prefer to have a nice laying flock that isn't molly-coddled.
    My flocks respond to "Here Chick, chick, chick" when I call them back to the coops with a handful of scratch. I pick up my grown birds frequently to inspect them and they are used to that.

3. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Well, actually I'm actually getting tips for next years flock of chicks. Any more suggestions on how to train them?

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mealworms they are like crack to a chick or chicken

5. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    How do you train them to be lap birds? How many times do you think I should pick up a chick a day?

6. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

ive trained my hens to come to when i clap, its so easy dont need food or to call them just clap. all you do is when you come down to the run start clapping when they see you and keep clapping when you give them the food, if you free range them grab some food and start to clap and call them and they should come keep just clapping when ever food is offered to them and soon enough theyll come when you clap even if you dont have food. Theyll eventually connect the clapping with food. but apart from that thats all ive done with them trick wise.

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I used mealworms and a lot of patience. I would go out into the yard with a cup of them and sit cross legged a ways away from the birds (still and quiet) and would toss a meal worm or two in their direction to get their attention. When they are started eating them and would gradually throw them closer and closer to me just a bit closer each time.

I tried to pay attention to their tolerance and stopped when they were too scared. Then I started the next day all over again getting closer each day. About an hour or two a day and after 3 or 4 days they would eat out of my hand and crawl into my lap.

Ever since they run and greet me when I go in the yard. I repeat the process whenever I get a new bird. Some are more lap friendly than others but all of them will come up to me and eat out of my hands.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The ones I raised as chicks I handled a lot and they would come when I called their names but when they got older and moved outside they went through a teenage rebellon period where they were not as friendly to me, so I did the mealworm thing with them as well. Only one still knows her name.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. lja7269

lja7269 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    I am new to this. I got my first chicks 3 weeks ago. I chose 6 week old ones. I go out to the pen everyday and spend time out there but they avoid me at all costs. I got some meal worms last week and thought they would afore me after that. No such luck. I have Wellsummers. 5 hens and a roo.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    You can clicker train your chickens to do tricks. Google "Poultry in Motion" DVD .
    This is a well proven method. Used to train dog trainers how to connect with
    their canine students.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by