Tips on teaching chicks to use the nipple water right out of the incub

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spitman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Well just took the chicks out of bator and i want them to use the nipples only! if I put a reg water bowl deal in the brooder they will never use the nipples . I have been holding them and rubbing there beaks until they get some . Been doing it about every hour I dont want them to dehighdrate. How long will I have to manually give them water anyone gone through this any advise would be great thanks

2. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    My new borns diddnt even want water for the first 2 days. They have yolk reserves for 3 days after hatching. Just show them where it is check on them regular at the 4 day mark they should get it quick.

3. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    cool , thanks they hatched thursday night , Ill check it out sunday night , hopfuly they will be using it on there own.[​IMG]

4. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    We got a rodent bottle that had the same kind of nipple end. We found that for the first week or so their beaks just weren't big enough to move the toggle. i put a small dish under the bottle to supplement. They kept trying and would go for the dish. After about two weeks, when I had seen each of the chicks successfully drink from the bottle I removed the dish and they have been fine!!

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    i offered my chicks water from a conventional chick waterer for the first 2 weeks then switched to a nipple. The chicks caught on within seconds. In my experience this is not true:

if I put a reg water bowl deal in the brooder they will never use the nipples .​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by