1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tips on Telling Autosexing breeds apart?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by promiseacres, Feb 5, 2014.

1. promiseacres

promiseacres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Is there a website or book, article that talks about different autosexing breeds, and their phenotypes? I have a trio of cream legbars and planning on getting some bielefelders. I also have possilble rhodebars and bielefelders in the incubator.... I keep an eye on auctions, ebay among others and at times I've seen photos that say one thing, but my mind questions it. I know CL are supposed to have a crest and lay blue eggs, Rhodebars are more red vs the other two. but am coming up short on a search for clear differences. Oh and then I saw a Wellbar photo...ya it's right up there. I really want to be raising purebreds but as a newbie to raising chickens am afraid of being duped but crossbreds. Thank you for your replies.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Most of the auto sexing breeds have threads on them in the "breeds, genetic, and showing" section on the main forum. I would suggest reading through them so you learn alot more then just how to id them as chicks. Good luck.

3. promiseacres

promiseacres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    I've been on them (waded thru a lot of it) ....wanting a place where I can see them side by side.... MAYBE someone can direct me. thank you

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Don't know if there's any pictures like that, you can try and ask on those threads. They might have some.

5. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    I was sent some sections of the annuals of the Auto-Sexing Poultry Association of Great Britain a year and a half ago. There used to be a club in the UK that incorporated a lot of the Auto-sexing breeds. The Cambridge Auto-sexing breeds now fall under the Rare Poultry Society in the UK, they ought to have some information on the breeds.

You can look here.

As far as Phenotypes goes, most of the Auto-sexing breeds in North America were imported in the last 5 years. They do not have APA standards and are still being established. As such they have a range of phenotypes in each breed, but typically knowing which breed have white earlobes (Legbars), which have red ear lobes (Rhodebars), Which have yellow legs, which have slate legs, which are 9 lbs cocks and which are 5 lb cocks, which have single combs, which have rose combs, etc. will provide you with some simple things to look for to know which is what.

Here is another good site that also included the bielefelders.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by