Tips please!!!!

SunnySideChik

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2015
Virginia
So I will be getting at least 5 baby chicks here within the next 2-3 weeks and I want all tips that I need to know. We had 3 older chickens that we got when they were about 2 yrs old so I didn't get to experience them when they were young. I know I need to keep them inside with a heat lamp and we may even get the other 3 back and I know they need to stay separated to avoid issues until they are big enough. So any and all tips are appreciated even if I've already stated them and you can elaborate it's appreciated!!! Thanks all!!!

Before getting the chicks you need to get a brooder ready for the chicks.
You will need a heat lamp, a feeder and waterer alongwith some flooring like wood shavings or hay (I use hay as I have ample lying in my backyard). Ensure to keep waterer clean and put some small rocks or weight in it so the chicks don't fall in it and get all wet. I believe you will get a lot of help by searching the site for how to get started. These were some of my insights hope it helped.

Before getting the chicks you need to get a brooder ready for the chicks.
You will need a heat lamp, a feeder and waterer alongwith some flooring like wood shavings or hay (I use hay as I have ample lying in my backyard). Ensure to keep waterer clean and put some small rocks or weight in it so the chicks don't fall in it and get all wet. I believe you will get a lot of help by searching the site for how to get started.  These were some of my insights hope it helped.

Thanks so much for your response! Do I need to use a small bowl or can I just buy a small waterer and feeder to keep in there?

There is an alternative to brooding indoors in a conventional brooder box, and it's much more natural and healthy, and at the same time, more convenient for us humans. Some of us have gone over to brooding outdoors in our coops or runs with amazing results.

As for integrating babies with the adult flock, it also neatly takes care of that problem, also.

Read my article on all the reasons why this is a superior way to brood chicks. It's the second article linked below in my signature line.

A bowl will be too shallow for the chicks you can make use of a small dish instead or a small waterer will work just fine.

What should be in an emergency kit or do stores sell one already made??

Not sure about ready made, Here's what's in my one for chicks:

1) Electrolyte powder (gave them this to combat shipping stress)
2) Poultry Nutri-drench (has electrolytes, molasses, amino acids, etc...a good supplement for ailing chicks)
3) Probiotic
4) Vetericyn poultry spray for wounds
5) Blu-kote to dye wounds blue to prevent picking
6) Amprolium (I have liquid Corid) to treat outbreaks of coccidiosis
7) various size syringes to use for medication administration and measurements for dilutions
8) small roll of vet wrap -- useful for many things including splayed leg
9) vaseline to apply after removal of "pasty butt" poo
10) one pair tweezers

I also have the basic human e-kit available so triple antibiotic ointment, hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, gauze, bandaids, etc.
I do want to add a treatment for lice/mites to my kit, but that's less of an emergency situation and I'm still deciding on which one to get.

2) Poultry Nutri-drench (has electrolytes, molasses, amino acids, etc...a good supplement for ailing chicks)
3) Probiotic
7) various size syringes to use for medication administration and measurements for dilutions
10) one pair tweezers

I also have the basic human e-kit available so triple antibiotic ointment, hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, gauze, bandaids, etc.
I do want to add a treatment for lice/mites to my kit, but that's less of an emergency situation and I'm still deciding on which one to get.
This is an amazing list! Thanks for sharing!

3) Probiotic
10) one pair tweezers

Thanks so much!! I'll make sure I make an emergency kit before we get the chicks!

Back
Top Bottom