Tips? Recommendations? Etc. On Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MakMurrayFarm, Jun 19, 2019.

1. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    Hey y'all.

I'm looking into getting some quails to add to my stock. Then breeding them and what not, I live in South GA, and I know they would sell pretty well.
    Can you give me pros / cons and Information on them? Cool little things to have ? Are courtnix a good breed to raise?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    MakMurrayFarm likes this.
  3. preciouseureka

preciouseureka Chirping

Apr 3, 2016
    I love mine! No regrets and we have been raising them for about five years now. They are more work than chickens I understand but not having had chickens I don't suffer from the comparison. Those eggs are amazing!

4. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    :woot

Coturnix are the easiest, and the ones that will give you the best egg production by far. Look for jumbo lines if you have the space. Bobwhites are bigger and excellent table birds but are also more aggressive and wilder.

You more often have to have a permit for bobwhites than cots, but you should check with your state department either way.

5. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    So jumbo courtnix is pretty much the best starter quails!? Can you give me any tips? I know they need a high protein diet unlike chickens etc, then also dont need alot of coop height due to them being so flighty. Any other really important tips?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: