Tips to dam the water bowl river?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Jun 27, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We have a gallon plus crock water bowl shared by the two dogs and the cats. I love this thing! The dogs, both GSDs, are heavy water drinkers. This thing is big enough that I'm not refilling the bowl every five minutes.
    The problem is Kane is a slosher. He runs by and grabs a drink, throwing water everywhere! Most of the water stays in the kitchen, but lately he's been soaking the carpet just on the other side of the kitchen wall.
    There's already a mat under the water bowl that absorbs its fair share of water, but not enough to keep the kitchen floor and living room carpet dry. I really want to continue to use this water bowl.
    Tips?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Move it outside?? LOL

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That would work great! Ummm, except for the fact that the dogs live inside! [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Then move them outside with the water bowl.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  5. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    I would change to a bucket and just not fill it up all the way, making the dog have to stop to put his head in the bucket....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No way Jose! My boys live inside where they belong. [​IMG] Now if we were talking about human boys and they were making this kind of mess, I'd have no problem whatsoever with moving them outside. [​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:That would work great! Ummm, except for the fact that the dogs live inside! [​IMG]

But, you could make "water times" for them to go outside and drink the water! It would work beautifully! You could keep a rabbit waterer or something inside for those little tickles in the doggie throats!

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Let's see. You have a water bowl for cats and dogs. You want to continue using the same water bowl. You don't like the simple elegant solution of moving the problem outside where animal problems belong. Since you insist on using the same bowl, put the bowl in a bucket where only the dogs can get to it and put a different water bowl up high for the cats to use but that the dogs can't get to.

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member 11 Years

I don't know much about them, but if it is a float valve based waterer you can sometimes adjust (bend) the float so it stops filling the bowl at a lower level. I did this with one of our float valves.

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Songster

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Do you have a lid for the crock or something you could use as a lid? What i am getting at is you can put a lid on it and cut a hole in the center so that the dogs can get their muzzles and face into the bowl and it would keep the drips/sloshing mess to a minimum. Does that make sense?

Here's a good design on what i am talking about: http://www.officialdoghouse.com/site/1540231/product/U-WP71 This is what my grandmother used for her puppies when she had a litter indoors in the winter time. They work really well. So if you could retrofit something as a lid on the crock -- Viola! there is your answer... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: