tips to getting them to lay?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nicoletm24, Sep 23, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    *sigh* I have some brown leghorns that are well over 6 months, and still....NOTHING [​IMG] I've been waiting and watching. I have one old production red hen thats laying...that's it. out of all my new beautiful hens.

Any tips to get these ladies into the laying egg mood?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? [​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would either play Barry White CD's for them or show them a stew pot! Works every time!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    All joking aside, they will lay when their bodies are ready. If it makes you feel better I have some Ameraucana hens that are almost 30 weeks old and have not even started looking at the nest boxes! Just have to wait for them to be ready. [​IMG]

3. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Quote:HA [​IMG] trust me...I've thought about it!!! HA

gets to a point where you're like "i'm feeding you....so give me something in return" [​IMG] oh well. I'll be patient.

thanks

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:That is so funny! My mother made a flower pot out of an old stew pot that will decorate the deck on our chicken coop next spring! She is going to call it "incentive."

5. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Quote:That is so funny! My mother made a flower pot out of an old stew pot that will decorate the deck on our chicken coop next spring! She is going to call it "incentive."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

LOVE IT!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't suppose they are hiding them somewhere? Leghorns are about the best layers -- early and lots of eggs. I have one brown leghorn, about 3 years old, still at it almost every day, huge eggs out of a standard but small chicken.

7. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Quote:if they are, I can't find them. [​IMG] I've looked everywhere. I'll have to check again.

8. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Leg horns are not necessarily good layers cuz they lay early, but good layers because once they do start laying they lay almost every day. My leghorns were hatched in April and they started laying last week. Thats 24 weeks. Combs got big, red and floppy and they were ready to lay. I get a white egg from each of them everyday now.

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Remember when your looking to look under places you don't think they can fit.I found my hidden nest under a 3 inch height

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by