Tips to keep chickens out of the goose house

Sep 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have tried everything and I am beyond frustrated. The chickens go in and destroy the nest that The Geese so carefully cover every time they get off of the eggs. They lay their own eggs in the goose nest, which are then stepped on by The Geese and broken everywhere. They fling the goose eggs all over the place where I nearly step on them too. I put a water pan (30x32) in front of the goose door in hopes of keeping the chickens out, but most of them now just walk right through the 2 inches of water! If they don’t walk through the water, they have no problem umping the 32 inches across the water to get in the goose house. I thought for sure the water would work. I cannot make the water deeper or heavier, otherwise I will not be able to easily dump it and refill it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the chickens out?

Really anything goose accessible is also chicken accessible.
I don't see a solution other than fencing the chickens out of that area.
I'm sorry. :hmm

Really anything goose accessible is also chicken accessible.
I don't see a solution other than fencing the chickens out of that area.
I'm sorry. :hmm
The trick must lie in the fact that geese can swim and chickens cannot. Maybe access through a tunnel from a ramp in the pond… but then the geese have to be trained to use it… I will figure out a way. I just thought maybe someone else has already figured it out!

The trick must lie in the fact that geese can swim and chickens cannot. Maybe access through a tunnel from a ramp in the pond… but then the geese have to be trained to use it… I will figure out a way. I just thought maybe someone else has already figured it out!
Sorry I'm not more help. I have my geese separate.
Water is definitely the answer, it just has to either be wide or deep or both enough that the chickens can't cross. Good luck with it! Maybe someone else will chime in with an idea. 😊

I just close the door to my big coop everyday mainly because the snakes will be out soon and I have had them in the coop eating eggs and trying to eat bantams (that there is no way they can eat) so now my chickens ducks and goose go into the smaller coop to lay.

I just close the door to my big coop everyday mainly because the snakes will be out soon and I have had them in the coop eating eggs and trying to eat bantams (that there is no way they can eat) so now my chickens ducks and goose go into the smaller coop to lay.
You must have a feeding system also so that the chickens can’t get the goose food and vice versa? I had moved the goose food into the goose house, but now with having to leave it closed up, the geese are eating the chickens layer food. Not good…

My flock eat the same feed NON GMO layer mixed with 6 way grains. Ive fed this for years with out any health problems. I do add nutritional yeast and dried greek oregano to their feed. I have never had a snake in my feed / Muscovy coop I mean one may have been in there but I’ve never seen one. My big coop they are in there a lot if I don’t keep it closed

Last edited:
My flock eat the same feed NON GMO layer mixed with 6 way grains. Ive fed this for years with out any health problems. I do add nutritional yeast and dried greek oregano to their feed. I have never had a snake in my feed / Muscovy coop I mean one may have been in there but I’ve never seen one. My big coop they are in there a lot if I don’t keep it closed
Can you give me specific direction on what you feed? Like what are the 6 way grains, what brewers yeast do you use and where do you get it? What is the oregano for and where do you get it? I would love to not have to worry about them getting each other’s food!

Back
Top Bottom