Tired first-time chick owner.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EarthToWitness, Apr 5, 2018.

1. EarthToWitness

EarthToWitness Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    Oshawa, Ontario, CA
    Hi guys,

New owner here with ten 2 week old baby chicks. :) :) :)

They’re supposedly Rhode Island Reds and white leghorns, all layers but “no guarantees”.

Tonight they are finally in a suitable enclosure. Omg. I started with a chicken transporter (fold up metal cage thing), and EVERYTHING went wrong. They would escape through the holes, peck at and try to eat the crafting fabric I wove around the bottom rows to keep them in, and then they scratched up all the bedding and started at the insulation we fit to the bottom too!!

I was in a pretty good panic, having NO back up plan. I was sweating and on my own for this. I racked my brain for anything I’d read, or watched, or heard from farmers or even anyone else, that might help me relocate them immediately.

The tub. The TUB! They loved that. I did too. But it’s a shared house here so the move wasn’t over. Less panicked but still fairly stressed, I was pleased to find that a pet carrier is actually a very appropriate enclosure. What a relief. Safe and sound for the night.

That was 2 nights ago. They looked pretty cramped in there today, so I found a large dog crate/carrier for cheap and picked it up, braving bad weather conditions for an hour, in the dark, because I couldn’t stand to see them restless like that for one more night.

So all in all I think things are going well. They are 9 days old, healthy, using a 1 gal waterer with marbles and for now just a plate with medicated starter. 175w red bulb between the carrier and window in my bedroom. Not great I realize, but it works. They’re at 80-83 degrees.

Me: 29yo female, Registered Nurse, Ontario. Other hobbies: volunteering at hobby farm, nature walks/feeding birds, meditation, yoga.

Thanks for reading, I know it was quite long. But I think it really just shows what we all go through at first. Nerves, lots of work, and true love. ❤️

Danielle

ronott1, N F C, sumi and 7 others like this.
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Danielle :frowWelcome!

Sorry, I am chuckling; not at you but with you .. welcome to the world of chickens! Yes, they can stress us out but they worm their way in to your heart pretty darn quick with their adorable chickenalities :love

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. Lots of good topics for new chicken parents.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your little Houdini's, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in these links:
    Edited to Add: I just saw you are in Ontario; this is a link to the Canadian Thread.

ronott1, N F C, sumi and 7 others like this.
  3. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :jumpy :jumpy :welcome

ronott1, N F C, 007Sean and 4 others like this.
  4. chickenmeadow

chickenmeadow Crowing

Jun 14, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome, & thanks for sharing your new chicks story. Hmmmm..... sounds familiar.....

Teila: thanks for mentioning the chuckling, so was I as flashbacks of panic came to mind.

EarthToWitness: Glad you are able to work it out; perseverance prevails. Here's what I do with newbie chicks. I know it's time for them to move to more of a chicken coop situation when they quickly shred every paper towel that goes in over the usual pine shaving bedding for easy cleanup (usually about 4 wks or so). Have fun. Best wishes. 2018 3-SS pullets in brooder.jpg

ronott1, N F C, 007Sean and 1 other person like this.
  5. Anagram

Anagram Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Welcome to you Danielle! You have definitely found a place where people love their chickens and will brace all sorts of crazy weather and situations for their chickens!

ronott1, N F C, 007Sean and 3 others like this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    With all you have been through, I am pleased to inform you, that you passed the initiation
    with flying colors:thumbsup. Danielle you are now a fully accredited member of Backyard chickens.:clap Congratulations:hugs

ronott1, N F C, Anagram and 5 others like this.
  7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Danielle and welcome to BYC :frow

ronott1, N F C, Anagram and 3 others like this.
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :welcome Fast thinking and great resourcefulness :ya

ronott1, N F C, Anagram and 2 others like this.
  9. EarthToWitness

EarthToWitness Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    Oshawa, Ontario, CA
    Thanks chick!

10. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello Danielle! Thanks for sharing your story. Welcome to the flock :thumbsup

ronott1, N F C, Anagram and 1 other person like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: