Tired from being outside? HELP, did I do something wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OHMYCHICKIES, Jun 1, 2008.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I have 4 Bard Rocks and I got tired of them constantly bothering the other younger chicks and flying everywhere. So I decided to put them outside(first time) with food & water, temp was okay and they had an 8 x 6 area to roam. They are 3 1/2 weeks old. I brought them inside and now they don't fly anymore and are resting alot. They get up for food and water, then they lay down and rest. Is that normal? They've been soooo active that this seems unusual for them. Should I not have had them outside?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    They'll be fine, my momma hen took her babies out today and they're a week and a half old...........

3. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    Probably just tired from a day of playing. [​IMG]

4. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Thank you Wildsky & WrenAll....I was starting to worry. Maybe I'll get some good sleep tonight:D They are usually noisy and hyper, especially with younger chicks in a brooder next to them.

5. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I took my 23 chicks out in the grass to play in a screened in tent thingy at 10 days old. They loved it! They played for about 2 hours before starting to look a little pooped from the excitement. But it seemed to have the opposite effect from your experience - when I brought them in they wouldn't stop trying to fly inside the brooder! They were all wound up and played most of the night!

6. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Mine were exhausted after their first fun-filled trip outside. They had a ball, and crashed afterward.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by