tired laying down year old roo!! SICK ( PICTURES!)

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
I have another sick chicken,
He is a year old rooster.

The past few days, he has not been himself.
Today he has been laying down most of the day with his eyes close. He will get up and walk around some, but not much., His crop is empty. I don’t think he has eaten or drank much today.

His poops are a strange bright green.
We put him with the hens; He has not really even tried to mount the any of them.
(He is NEVER with the hens!)
He seems sleepy!

What should I do?

I will try to post pictures soon.

Last edited:
Try giving him some vitamins and electrolites just to keep him going until you find out what it is. Prehaps mereks? Antibiotics may be helpful too.

I wouldn't start giving him medicines if you don't know what's wrong with him. I would give him some water mixed with electrolytes or apple cider vinegar.

Have u picked him up lately, what's his weight feel like? Has he lost weight--Is he skinny in the breast area? I had a rooster like that...was kinda lethargic, kept to himself, sleeping alot and when I picked him up I was so surprised to see how much weight he had lost. His symptoms were only a couple days in by then...he started walking funny--like he was a little drunk.
Turned out he had lice and they were just sucking the life out of him literally. Check on his feathers close to the body and especially around his vent area ...it will be hard and crusty close to the body where the eggs are--almost like cement. If he does have lice give him vitamins and electrolytes to build his strength...if u can get him to eat--but u will need to dust him wait a week and then dust him again--also clean your coop and change the bedding and nesting boxes...I would keep him apart from the others until u get the lice under control.

Back
Top Bottom