Tired, Not eating, Diarrhea White and Greenish Black, Vomit Clear and thick, Squishy water ballon cr

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaki143, Aug 23, 2013.

1. kaki143

kaki143 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    San Francisco
    Hello. Please respond
    I’m new to posting but have been reading for days and gleaning much insight.

My six year old bird has taken ill. She is not a layer since late last year and lives in a well ventilated 20x10 coop that is open to light and air year round with 2 other birds that are both doing fine.

Butch however appears to have a sour crop. The smell is not to bad and she is able to stand but has lost allot of weight.

She is not eating for 2-3 days now. I have tube fed about 6 ML of blended scrambled egg. I also tube fed about 9 ML of probiotics and electrolytes with ACV.

I checked for Gape worm using the q tip method I found on here no sign of a red worm after swabbing her esophagus.

After a day at the farm store of stocking up on some equine dewormer called something like flobuvent and a broad spectrum antibiotic I spoke to a chicken rep in Modesto that told me my bird did not likely have a condition caused by worms and that the best treatment was Acidified Copper Sulfate which I got and began administering last night at about 6 Mls every 2-3 hours.

Some color is returned to her comb
    Diarrhea has changed from mostly white with Greenish black traces to mostly Greenish black with white traced. ther are no lumps or balls in the crop and it dose go down and then I reflate it with the ACS until i can here her gurgle then I back off and massage crop.

The directions I found her suggest NO FOOD for the first 24 Hours. I cant bare that so she has some poached egg incase she gets interested but so far not more than a peck or two at that.

Do you have any thoughts!!!! Please respond.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    I wonder if an underlying bacterial infection is the main problem. Green diarrhea can be caused by salmonella or e. coli. The fact that the crop doesn't smell that bad is also an indication that it might be infected with bacteria rather than yeast. I also recommend a fluoroquinolone in your case.

3. kaki143

kaki143 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    San Francisco
    I read this on another thread
    "Generally when a chicken is showing the signs you describe, there's one of four things that she is suffering from... First is a bacterial infection, usually in her crop. This can be treated, as you are trying to do, with antibiotics. However, if she is not eating and regurgitating the contents of her crop, injectable is the way to go. See if you can get some Tylan 200 injections. At the same time, she should be put on a round of Nystatin, an antifungal med (quite inexpensive) and given 3 cc (if she is a standard sized chicken) twice a day for 10 days. Tylan is a very potent antibiotic and will knock out most infections quite quickly, it isn’t one of the antibiotics that has a tendancy to cause yeast infections when given for longer than 7 days, this is why I prefer it to other antibiotics like Baytril"

I have Tylan. Can I use it???. Should I discontinue the Acidified Copper Sulfate??

4. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    It's worth a shot. Tylan is less effective these days but we're talking about a crop infection which is unlikely to be caused by a superbug.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by