Tired of apologizing for my addiction

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
It's not what you think.

My new neighbors are lovely people, but my chickens wander into their yard and on their porch to peer in their window. I feel that I have to apologize for it. I think they secretly like the chickens, but it's hard to tell if they're just being polite. Now my tiny pet roo hangs out at their kitchen door and pecks at the glass in the morning (he's begging for treats!). Argh. How many times do I have to apologize???

P.S. They are sooooo happy to be free-ranging (and so much fun), I would absolutely hate to have to pen the little buggers up.

Quote:
you don't have to apologize if you keep them on your OWN property. they don't belong ANYWHERE else.
it doesn't matter if they like them. ask them to not give them treats and think about putting up some fencing for peace and safety of the birds.

you don't have to 'pen' them, you need to contain them properly.

since emotion can not be relayed on the internet, i stress that i type this with kindness, not a critical attitude.

if they get 'tired' of them, depending on where you live, your chickens can be 'disposed' of, you could be ticketed or worse have further legal action taken.

Might want to check and see if the neighbors mind the chickens pooping on the porch...
lol.png

break the ice with your neighbors, bring over some eggs and your phone number. get their feelings on your chickens and tell them to call you anytime there is an issue with your chickens. See if they like recipes
smile.png

Thats what I did when my new neighbors moved in next door. Although my chickens dont wander into their yard, their morning ruckus can be noisy at times. I found his kids calling to the chickens from their deck looking over into my yard
smile.png

I brought eggs over and broke the ice with him. all my neighbors love the chickens. they're not like yappy dogs that they're used to and they're not loud (they're just 2 hens)

and of course they love the eggs !

good luck!

you could also tell them about the good things chickens do for them like bug control, fertilizer, weed control, etc.

I may have neglected to mention that I live on a 40-acre farm and there are two farmhouses 10 feet away from each other (that is my "neighbor"). Basically we share a lot of yard space, parking space and other things, etc. Also, they swear up and down they like the chickens. I'm also taking the chickens to the butcher periodically to downsize (and fill up the freezer). And yes, I give them eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
That would be my last concern if the neighbors like them or not . You have chickens , they are like small children , its your responsibility to make them safe . YOU MUST NOT have ever seen chickens after being attacked by chicken hawks ? Trust me , its not a pretty site .
I have over 100 head of chickens and they are all safe . 3 PENS ( prediator Proof ) and 2 attached coops ..... You need to do the same and protect your flock .

My chickens are safe here. I lost 1 pullet to a hawk 3 years ago and never since. Free-ranging is a great thing to do, and its safety is dependent on each person's environment (I've seen many discussions about it on this forum). I happen to live somewhere where there are no dogs/day predators -- and the chickens are locked up safely at night in their coops.

By the way, my previous neighbors are the ones who got me started with chickens -- we shared chicken chore responsibilities. Current neighbor also helps with chicken chores when needed.

I'm sorry this post didn't come across more humorously. I appreciate all your advice, but some of it just isn't appropriate to my particular situation.

Last edited:
I agree with what cyrixlord said. Have a heart to heart with your neighbors. Ask them point blank if they would prefer you keep the chickens in your own yard/area.
Mine free-range as well. We have 80 acres. I keep an eye on them because it would be a disaster if they decided to go visit my only close neighbor and her commercial chicken houses. They are very happy to free-range and fuss alot on the days they can't. It's all they've ever known. Yes, I'm gonna lose some to predators one day, but I'll accept that knowing they've had a heck of a good time up to that point.

Quote:
Yes, I have told them many times to make sure to let me know if there are any problems, and I believe they will tell me. Of course I did catch the neighbor sitting on the back porch with the rooster snuggling in her lap!

Back
Top Bottom