Tired of it!!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Tikkajazz94, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, Im Kinda getting tired of this, I go into the run to refill the water and food. Than the Peahen jumps up, THan falls and does it over and over again. Than When I get closer the to food, The peacock is in the way, And He does the same, and than jumps over me and hits me with his wing. So I make them go into the Coop (Dog house) and Say its okay. And the Peacock hisses at me. Than the Peahen. My Dad keeps asking me when They can be freeranged. I said 'As soon as I can walk up to them with out them freaking.' Which how this is going. It will be never. Oh and I tired doing the Give them feed than Sit down watch them thing. Only the peahen started and Then started to freak out, cuz the peacock was freaking out.

Im Kinda getting annoyed with it. [​IMG] What can I do? (Peacock age:2 Peahen age: 1)

2. Exotics R Us

Exotics R Us Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    If you are going to raise peafowl you better get used to it, some will do this every time you go in and will never stop others may never do it. on these you have you will need to find a way to feed and water without going in the pen.

Ricky

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

How big is their pen? Usually, they will just walk to the other side away from people.

4. Tikkajazz94

Quote:I think its 8 feet long 6 feet wide. I think 6 feet high. Its only temp. I need to get another so its 8 feet by 12 feet by 6 feet high. Maybe....

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have my 4 in a 24x24 outside with an 8x16 enclosure attatched. I'm gonna expand that too. Peas like to pace, so, bigger is better.
    I think they just can't get far enough away from you, so they're freaking out. They may feel like you are cornering them. [​IMG]

6. Tikkajazz94

Ah could be. But I moved the waterer and the feeder. So I walk in Close the door, move sideways a foot and there they are. Instead of having to get to the otherside.
    My quail are so much easier. First thing they need water and food. So I open it up, They chirp at me saying "Food please, water please' Or they just demand it. I would rather think of them asking for it.

7. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    It helps to have one friendly peafowl. The other peafowl see one that eats out of your hand or doesn't run from you and then they decide that you are okay and then they try eating from your hand and stuff.

All of my peafowl were skittish when I first got them. My first peafowl were in a very small pen which didn't help. I planned on free-ranging them. I would sit in or outside of the pen for a long time watching them. The more time you spend around them the more comfortable they get with you. Because they love food you can use that to get them close to you. Sit down and throw food near you to tempt them to get close or hold a big head of lettuce out for them to peck at. I found that my peafowl feel more comfortable when I am more at their level. Sometimes if I sit on the ground of the pen (their pen isn't dirty) then they will walk up to me or forage near me. One time my peacock even pulled my hair! When I free-ranged my first pair they were less skittish as free-range birds and would eat out of my hand more once they free-ranged. I let them out about the time they first started to eat out of my hand in the pen and were not so spooky when I opened the door and walked in. Also the larger the pen they are in the more comfortable they are around you because they feel like they can escape if you were to try and grab them, which of course isn't going to happen normally but that is how they feel. Perhaps peafowl are so skittish because they have to be when they live in India were they have stealthy predators like Tigers and Leopards to worry about.

They will freak out, but you just have to keep visiting with them and maybe moving slowly until they get more used to you. I got a peahen one time and she was so skittish that if I got within 8 feet from her she would jump up and fly across the pen and bounce off the netting. I worked on getting closer to her and one day when she was lying down I got on my knees and slowly crept up on her and she let me stay there only a few feet away and watch her. Now she eats out of my hand just like all my other peafowl and I can take good closeup pictures of all of them too. It just takes time. You have to gain their trust. Try giving them a few treats and then try and get them to take the treats out of your hand.

8. Tikkajazz94

Quote:Thanks [​IMG]
    I'm mad at them now [​IMG] I complained to my parents about them. So my Dad came out and Went in (He's taller than me) And they were showing off [​IMG] Grrrrr...
    I have corn to give them, Than Have some lettuce. Tomorrow is my payday, Going into town to pick up some Mealworms. Maybe i should Put a dish of them for them. than have a few in my hand.

9. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    They really love unshelled unsalted peanuts. I have a peahen named Ice who walks up to me every time I go into the pen to get her peanuts. I grab a hand full of peanuts in my hand and she eats them out of my hand. Peanuts is how I trained my peafowl how to eat out of my hand.

Just remember unless they are really tame and are okay with eating out of your hand like my Ice, if you have say bread in your hand and bread thrown out for them they are going to go for the bread on the ground first, so don't put a whole bunch of something on the ground and have it in your hand also. I usually will throw maybe 5 or so pieces on the ground so they get a taste for the treat then hold some out in my hand. Hopefully they will like it enough to come grab it. When they look at the food in your hand and get sort of close and stare at it then cluck or back away and leave it might not seem like much progress but at least they were thinking about getting the treat from your hand. A peacock I had would wait for Ice to eat peanuts from my hand and when she started eating from my hand he would pick up the peanuts she dropped under my hand but he didn't eat them out of my hand.[​IMG] Eventually from watching the others eat out of my hand he just started eating out of my hand one day. Some peafowl take to eating out of your hand faster than others. Oh and when they first start eating out of your hand they can get freaked out by the strangest things like a bracelet or even just looking at them. When I start trying to get a peafowl to eat out of my hand I look the other way. It makes them feel more comfortable when you don't stare at them. Then once they get used to you you can stare at them all you want. Don't get frustrated with them just yet.

Oh and here are two of my peafowl eating from my hand.

This is Ice:
    [​IMG]

This is Alto:
    [​IMG]

10. Tikkajazz94

Interesting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by