1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tired, Relaxed, or Both?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsbailey70, Sep 1, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    [​IMG]
    This is my new EE; she's about 6 weeks old. I just moved her and the BR out to (part of) the big coop Friday night. Today I let them out to explore and forage for the second time. At some point I wanted to pick her up. Idk if I startled her, or she's still getting used to being approached and picked up, but she scooted around a little. After I caught her, I had her sit still a minute or so, and then picked her up. I have usually held her like this; facing me, with my thumb on her right side, my first three fingers under her middle, and my pinkie on her left side, with her legs hanging below. She always seems to really relax once I'm holding her like that. I pet her, and sometimes she looks like she's dozing off, closing her eyes a little. She's also dropped her wings once in a while, but I think this was the farthest they've dropped. What do y'all think? So is this just all from being tired, or relaxed, or maybe a little bit of both?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well....if she's active and eating and drinking and scratching as normal, she might just like to be held.

3. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Oh yea, thank you, I forgot to add that; everything else seems normal. I was surprised, but she actually let me trim her claws too! I had a small scissor-type clipper, and just trimmed off the sharp points. She never even squawked once :)

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you raise her from a chick...handle her a lot?

5. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I got her and the BR when they were two days old. I raised them inside in a spare room, in a 100 gallon stock tank, before moving them outside. I've handled her at least once a day, sometimes more.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, that's why she's so relaxed in your hands......will probably stay that way if you continue to handle her.

I slacked off handing them and now at 6 months one still likes it, some tolerate it and one absolutely hates it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by