'Tis The Season' Who likes fried green tomatoes?

Hi! Poke weed has toxins.
I will cook the greens for Hubby, I don't find it enjoyable myself (and the several times draining and changing 'cooking water' is tiresome). Plus, it just doesn't taste good to me, I prefer mustard greens.
Green Tomato Casserole is nothing but layered green tomatoes, onions, cheese, (and if you use cream of soup, a can of that) and bake --- yum!
smile.png

Lisa

No one here eats fried green tomatos, but we love hot pickled green tomatos with garlic & hot pepper rings.

I use hot hungarian pepper rings with seeds, small pickling onions, sliced garlic cloves (or whole if I'm making the Big Thangsiving Jar for my husbands' brothers - one brother eats the garlic, one eats the tomatos and brother in law eats the pepper rings, while my husband eats the onions. I'm sure their wives are not happy with me when I bring 'em!
gig.gif
) I don't have a real recipe for them, though. I use the same vinegar/water/salt ratio as for dill pickles or pickled pepper rings.

Just vinegar and water, salt, a sprig of fresh thyme, a few basil leaves - and about a week to sit in the 'fridge I don't usually can them proper, just boil the vinegar & water with the salt and pour over a packed jar, put the lid on and put it in the fridge for at least a week, turning it over about mid week so the stuff on top gets it too. It can last a few months in the coldest part of the fridge that way.

I have canned them, but we like the crispness of them cured in the 'fridge. You CANNOT store these anywhere but in the fridge if you don't can them properly in a water bath, as they will spoil and make ya quite sick. You have to eat them within a few months, as these are not sterilized and sealed. If you want to keep them longer, take the time to treat them as any other kind of pickle and put them in a hot water or steam bath & seal them properly.

If you grate everything up, you can use the same recipe for a pickled relish, if you add sugar, its like sweet and hot pickled relish. Very versatile.

Works great with green cherry tomatos - and there are always thousands of those on just a few plants. Oooooo we've got flowers all over our plants!

Dang. Now my mouth is watering...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom