Tis the Season...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamG347, Feb 20, 2011.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    For the Mandarins and Woodies to start breeding! Beautiful sunny 34 degree day here in central PA and noticed the first signs of spring in the duck pen. Gave the birds some warm water in their small winter swim tub and one of the white x regular pairs of mandarins was first to hit the water and the white drake did a few circles and then got the job done! Good thing the boxes are hung up and ready to be filled with down and eggs!
    [​IMG]

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I am hoping to get some Mandarins this year. Have you had them long? How are they?

3. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Ive had them now since last summer. If your looking for a really friendly run up to you when you enter the pen duck I would look for another breed. But I breed gamebirds and love the wild aspect of the birds and have them mainly for eye candy and breeding. They are a great little duck and don't really eat all that much. I have them in a mixed aviary with Wood Ducks and Pheasant..and occasionally a few quail. If your looking to buy birds this year I'm taking reserves on pairs for later summer/fall ship.
    [​IMG]

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Mine are "doing it" too. No eggs yet. Sam mine (6 pr) run right up to me and I always gotta make sure I don't step on em. I've always spent time with them is why the're so friendly Mine are 2-6yr olds. Hope we have lots of babies. Last year I raised about 50. But this year Im double and triple clutching so Im shooting for 100.

5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Mine have been breeding for a while now. One of my hens has 7 eggs so far and has started incubating them. Can't wait for some to hatch. (if any, fingers crossed)

6. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    DD yeah I dont have the time to sit down there and really gain their trust. It would be nice but im fine with how they are. I'm hoping to double clutch the mandarin pairs and the silver woodies this spring as well. And KK sounds great...can't wait till eggs hit the boxes here.
    [​IMG]

7. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Quote:When I am almost done building I'll PM you. [​IMG]

8. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Just send me a PM and we can go from there...Or send me an email with full contact info and what you are interested in as far as pair color and number of pairs.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by