Tissue Paper or cloth for brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lyndatu, Dec 12, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    I just saw the brooder thread and I saw that some of the brooders were using tissue paper/paper towels/cloth for the flooring of their brooder instead of wood shavings. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Most do that for their newly hatched babies, for day olds I'd only do it for a day or two so they get the hang of eating the food and not the shavings.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Quote:This is correct! Only use either for a couple of days so the chicks get use to eatting their fed instead of the shavings...

4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Hi,
    I do not care for paper towels,
    I use old dish towels or even better I buy the rolls of rubber drawer lining
    Its cheap and it helps prevent feet/leg problems because the can get a good footing on it.

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I have started using topsoil in my homemade brooder. The chickens have good footing. It is not flammable. Its cheap. It absorbs water spills well. When you change it disposal is easy just throw it in the yard or garden and its slightly fertilized. They can get grit from it. I have not found a drawback as long as its regularly changed. I change it atleast twice a day with ducklings once with chickens. Others may know of some drawbacks. If so I would like to hear it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  6. Snowbunny

Snowbunny New Egg

Dec 24, 2007
    Quote:What a wonderful idea!! I have the need to replenish my entire flock this spring ~ bad luck with dogs and Bald Eagles ~ and was wanting to use something other than wood shavings!! I will have to give it a try!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by