1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

[Title Edited] vs. feral cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by phoenixmama, Sep 16, 2009.

1. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Any experience?

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*That being said, please do not gloat or suggest torturous ways of killing for pleasure or indeed, post in such a way that your predator control can be construed as pleasure killing instead of simply taking care of a problem.

*Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

*If you wish to suggest an alternate non lethal means of control, please share it in a non judgemental way that is a viable solution and not merely complaining about who was here first etc, IF it is directly related to the OP's request for assistance. If a non lethal alternative is offered, please be appreciative and remember that there are many ways and means and flaming a member for suggesting such an alternative will not be tolerated.

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
  2. phoenixmama

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Okay. We can't trap this tomcat. It's scaring the bejesus out of my child and ruining my screens. The town won't do anything, and it is against the law to shoot the cat in my town.

Any suggestions?

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Call in a professional?

4. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I didn't catch what the first post said but I can tell you that I've had good luck repelling feral/wandering cats by setting snap type mouse and rat traps around where they were unwanted.

Rat traps really work better. I would unhook one spring so it still got the point across without giving the cat anymore than a bruised ego.
    I camo'ed them pretty good so the cat didn't know what got it. (Tie them to something too or they can get flung pretty far.)

Of course you need to keep the chickens away from them.

BTW, it works great if you have squirrels and chipmunks digging in flower pots too. (use the mouse traps or you'll permanently end a chipmunk's digging days.)

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:I assume you have been using a Have-a-Heart type wire trap. Some cats hate to walk on the wire floor of the trap, so it is recommended that you cover the floor of the trap up to the trip plate with newspaper/cardboard making sure that the improvised floor doesn't interfere with the trigger mechanism. Perhaps that why your tom will not enter the trap.

I feel for you. I had problems with a feral cat years ago, but was finally able to catch her. I still have a nasty scar on my hand from her, though. Fortunately, she didn't have rabies.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    what about just encouraging the cat to move elsewhere?

there is stuff called "Critter Ridder" all it is, is a really strong pepper that you sprinkle in your gardens and around your house and it will encourage pests to move along

or you can put moth balls around this will also encourage the kitty to move elsewhere

7. phoenixmama

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Quote:I assume you have been using a Have-a-Heart type wire trap. Some cats hate to walk on the wire floor of the trap, so it is recommended that you cover the floor of the trap up to the trip plate with newspaper/cardboard making sure that the improvised floor doesn't interfere with the trigger mechanism. Perhaps that why your tom will not enter the trap.

I feel for you. I had problems with a feral cat years ago, but was finally able to catch her. I still have a nasty scar on my hand from her, though. Fortunately, she didn't have rabies.

Thanks for the suggestion of altering the trap, I'll give it a try.

8. phoenixmama

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Quote:My other neighbors have problems with cat as well. It's the worst tomcat I've ever come across. I refuse to be the cause of this cat becoming someone else's problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by