TJ FARMS

tjduranfarms

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2016
Norco, Ca
I have a 5 month old golden wynndotte hen. She just started limping on her right leg. I checked her feet legs skin and I didn't see anything that looked odd. It seems to be the upper leg not extending completely as she favors it. Should she be separated and locked up? Any suggestions would be great.

Since you don't really know what the problem with her leg is, I would consider having her seen by a vet who is familiar with chickens. Can you post some pictures or post a video to YouTube of her standing or walking? Do you think she might have injured herself? Vitamin deficiencies are common. Mareks disease is a virus that can cause weakness or paralysis in legs or wings. Does she hold the leg up or does she try to walk on the bad leg? Sprains or broken bones can affect the hips, femurs, lower leggs and feet. I would only separate for her protection, in case she is bullied or being hurt. If you do separate her, I would keep her within sight of her flock in a crate with food and water. Vitamins in her water including riboflavin, or B complex tablets crushed in food would be good. Separation away from the flock can make it difficult to add her back to the flock if more than a few days. Most of us don't visit vets due to the prices, but some have good vets who are helpful. Keep us posted on how she is getting along.

Update, I'm keeping Goldie in a dog crate and she's seems to be happy eating drinking and yes pooping. She's still not walking but seems to be thriving in crate and on my lap. Spoiled. Vets in the area that deal with chickens want 50 just to walk in the door. I'll keep updating. Thankyou and Goldie thanks you.

Back
Top Bottom