TMI - What color is chick poop supposed to be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Keeping a close eye on my little chick this morning. I've gotten her to take honey water from a dropper. She is moving around a little more and peeping more. She is not interested in eating but is pooping. But not totally sure what color it's supposed to be. Did give yogurt with the chick starter yesterday. Wondering if that didn't sit well with her.

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    hehe There is the best chicken poop chart around here somewhere. I'll find it for you

3. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Here it is. Pin it, bookmark it, whatever. Trust me, you'll be looking at this chart A LOT [​IMG]

http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

And be careful with the honey water. It can be an awesome pick me up but too much will cause diarrhea.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  4. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Eeeeewwwww! So my little chicks poop isn't really on there. Is chick poop the same as chicken poop just smaller?

5. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Yeah, should be. Go ahead and take a picture to upload on here. And not to freak you out but is there any blood at all in the poop? That is the biggest thing, blood could mean coccidiosis which could easily take out your entire flock

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

And you can search "coccidiosis" in the search bar on this page and find a ton of info on this site, it isn't uncommon [​IMG] and must be treated asap.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  6. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    No blood in the poop. I'll try to get a picture. It looks kind of whitish yellowish and is kind of tube formed. Definitely not a worm but that shape. And good sized.

7. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I am using a medicated chick starter feed. That should help if it is cocci right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by