TN/GA growers! Pecan question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Goose and Fig, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sorry- I was inspired by the strawberry thread. Spring fever!

Where can I get a few decent size pecan trees? And what is a good variety? I have never grown them- and don't want to wait years for fruit if I have tiny trees shipped to me.

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Call your local county extension office--they will have a publication recommending the best varieties for your area. I just googled a search for "best pecan trees for Tennessee" & it mentioned that they had one, (but not any specific varieties).

I'm in Louisiana, but we've had pecan trees in our family over 100 years now. I have trees in our backyard that my Grandfather planted that still bear, trees in the front yard that we planted when we built our house 30 years ago.

The newer varieties are more resistant to pecan scab and grow and produce faster. Fertilizing is important.
    Pecans have "off" years, esp the older varieties--they will bear heavy one year & little or none the next year.

Our older trees are Stuarts, our younger ones include Cherokee, Choctaw, Sumner and Candy. We also have a few true native trees -- they produce a very small nut but very high in oil. They actually bring more $$ than the larger ones because of that.

We sell some of our pecans every year and put some up in the freezer--they will keep up to 2 years that way, shelled & put into ziploc bags.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Cool! Thanks Terri! I don't know why I didn't think of the ag extension. I LOVE pecans. Now that we know where the house & garden are going to be permanent we can finally start putting trees in. Learned alot by trial & error as to what spots get the best sun certain times of year. No more mini-squashes for me! Think I finally got it. Woo hoo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by