TN Hillbilly

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Duckwing, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Duckwing

Duckwing In the Brooder

Nov 12, 2019
    Kids are gone, one off to college, and the other an engineer. So, I've found some cool birds to raise for my wife and I. Two young Silver Duckwings, they were hatched at a friend of mines place early last spring. Currently they are in a 6x4x4 coup because that is easier for me to keep warm this winter. The sides are blanket insulated with some heat reflecting foil. I have two heat lamps. We watch them to keep them from getting too hot, or cold. So-far-so-good. I have a small barn on three acres so if I can keep critters away from them, I should be okay. My biggest threat is the neighbors dachshund.

2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! Would love to see pics of your chickens and your coop. The coop sounds too warm and insulated to me. Ventilation is the key to healthy chickens in the winter. If they are locked up too tightly, the moisture build up is what will make them sick. Have you checked out the coop building forum, or articles? Best of luck with your pullets!

3. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    Silver duckwings?? What breed? I believe silver duckwing is a color pattern. I'm also in TN and would like to see pictures of your birds if that's possible. Cold today so I plan on spending the day inside where it's warm.

4. Quail_Kid

Quail_Kid Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    St. Louis, MO USA
    W
    WE
    WEL
    WELC
    WELCO
    WELCOM
    WELCOME
    WELCOME!!!
    :thumbsup:welcome

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Heat lamps in TN?

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

7. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
  8. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The heat lamps are probably unneeded. Hot wire will educate the neighbor's dachshund.

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with the start of your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: