TN: who has raw goat milk avail?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by walkswithdog, Feb 19, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Some of you know my Pyr pup, Naga is very ill. The vet thinks that raw goat milk, and some colostrum would be of benefit. I live in Kingston but will drive quite a ways to try and help her.

This week I made cheese so I had whey for her but raw goat milk and fresh colostrum would be of greater benefit.

If you pray or want to send good thoughts, Naga has crashed again today.

2. twotmama

twotmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Kingston, OK. Have you tried just kid milk and colostrum from a feed store I had to buy some for a sick goat, and it really helped. I also have a mama goat with triplets how much milk do you need; or what did the vet say. Let me know i would love to help i have a pyrenese they are good dogs and i have a goat with milk.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  3. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Though good the reconstituted milk is harder on some animal's systems, because she does have a digestive disorder, the vet thinks raw and fresh would be of more benefit.

Unfortunately or fortunately, anorexia or no appetite is part of the problem so she only eats tiny amounts several times a day right now. Even a quart would probably last her quite awhile.

Usually puppies with her condition die because owners don't realize that something is wrong and they need to eat 5-7 or more meals a day - aka through the night, and try to feed them only two or three times a day. The pups weaken and die before ever being diagnosed or appear to die of other things.

As a rescuer I caught on early to a problem, and from the time I found her fed her every 3-5 hours. It's the only thing that kept her alive long enough to develop clinical definitive signs.

Keeping her guts on track and getting maximum nutrition into her is my project if we can get her past this recent crash.

If I can't find fresh, I'll use the store stuff but the way she metabolizes things is different and I'm very careful. I've had to be.

Thanks for responding... I can't think of anything more to do right now than try to hope and prepare for her to get past this crash too.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Try realmilk.com

5. twotmama

twotmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    I was wondering where you are i would bring you some milk. If you think it will help. Kingston is that Oklahoma?

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:Kewl there's someone in Dandrige. I emailed her. Let's hope... And she makes ghee and butter and other stuff, yay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by