To aggressive rooster what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nicabbott1998, Sep 1, 2016.

1. nicabbott1998

nicabbott1998 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2016
    I am new to raising chickens, this is my first flock. We bought 8 chicks in May that were about 3-4 days old. We were told they would all be hens but we ended up with a rooster. He has been with all the hens since day 1 but recently is getting mean and aggressive with them. He chases them around, corners them and then pecks at them. They try and stay away from him for the most part. I'm not sure what to do about him. Would he be the reason none of our hens ( 4 months old) are laying eggs? Any advice?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Could be stress but spunds like he is trying to hump and dominate them.I woukd sepereate him.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I agree that separation is a good idea. At only 4 months, I would consider myself very fortunate to be getting eggs. You may have to wait a little while.

CT

4. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Ooooh, sounds like a meanie rooster there. Best to seperate him, give the girls a rest from him.

5. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Cook 'em up!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What you are seeing is very typical and normal.

Males reach sexual maturity at a younger age than females do, he is trying to dominate and/or mate them and has no idea 'how'.
    They can cause some real havoc and it can be disturbing to see for the uninitiated.
    16 weeks is early for laying, unless you have sexlinked/high production breeds...18-24 weeks is the average age for onset of lay.

You'll need to decide if you want a male in your flock.....I put my extra cockerels on the grill, or sell/give them away, before 16 weeks.
    If you want to keep him, separating him until the pullets are ready to mate/lay is an option.
    Lots of space and places for the pullets to get away from him can help too.
    But if he's cornering them, pinning them down, and drawing blood, it might be best to separate or get rid of him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by