1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To All Buff Orpington Owners

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wkporter09, Jan 31, 2011.

1. wkporter09

wkporter09 New Egg

Jan 31, 2011
    I am considering getting several buff orpingtons this spring from a breeder down the road. Based on your experience, how much do the buff orpingtons eat?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if I completely understand your question. Do you mean in relation to other breeds? In that case, I would say about the same as any other standard size chicken. If you are wondering how much an adult chicken eats, that will vary based on climate, and a few other factors. If they are allowed to free-range, they will find bugs and plants to eat that will cut down on the amount of commercial feed they need. Or if you feed table scraps, that will also cut down on the amount of feed they need. However if they are kept in a run/coop 24/7, with no supplements, the amount of commercial food they eat will be a little more. Its hard to say exactly how much one chicken eats because I've never had just one. Last summer my flock of 8 laying hens who free-range all day long went through about 50lb a month of layer feed.

3. wkporter09

wkporter09 New Egg

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I know that the orpington is a large laying hen and I am wanting to know how much they eat in relation to other breeds. I have had gold comets and barred rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by