To all the "Bator Builders" - Will this work in a pinch?

Country Gal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Capac, MI
To all the people who have the skills to build their own incubator:

To keep it short, I had a broody hen, I ordered eggs for her, they will probably arrive tomorrow, I messed up today and I spooked her out of the nest. I have no idea if she'll get back on.

I don't have the time to build an all out incubator for these eggs that will be arriving. Will it work if I set up an old cooler with a small pan of water, a rack for the eggs to sit on, and a heat lamp inside? Or am I SOL?

Thanks!

You'll need to rig a thermostat (hot water heater thermostat works fine) and use a 25 -40 watt bulb.

Heres mine with the fan and thermostat in place
2007-08Aug03-03.jpg

2007-08Aug03-01.jpg

Just so I understand the science behind it... I need to rig the thermostat so that if it gets too hot the light bulb will turn off, right?

How easy is it to set up the thermostat? I'm not what one might consider "electricity savvy" and I'm a little paranoid about working with wiring...

Maybe this will help.

1 Hot wire runs from wall outlet to thermostat, 1 hot wire runs from thermostat to light bulb socket, ground wire runs from outlet to other post on bulb socket.
2007-08Aug03-04.jpg

Quote:
I might work....just get a thermometer in there, and with it being a "still air" try to keep the temps about 100 degrees. Its definately worth a try..How far along is the egg??

The single egg that she's been sitting on was between 9 and 12 days along. I don't know exactly because we were out of town for the weekend when she went broody. Unfortunately (curiousity killed the cat), since I knew that I wasn't going to get an incubator up and running tonight, I cracked it open to see if it was in fact viable. Ugh, it was. Won't be doing that ever again!

I haven't received the eggs that I ordered online yet... I'm hoping to get them either tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks Rooster Red! I just finished reading apost from a while back with the thermostat directions in it - between that one and your info, I think I can do it!

But, do be very careful!!! Inexperienced hands dealing with electricity can be a recipe for fire or even death! I don't want that to happen to you!! Have you got someone who might know about electricity and who might lend you a hand???

Good luck..... And, BE CAREFUL!!!

Robert

For very short term to try to save the egg that is already gong along, you can place it on a heat blanket if it is only about 102 deg. Or you could do your initial idea but only do it for a short time to keep it warm and developing.

Back
Top Bottom