TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

We went creek walking barefoot for miles and miles every day of the summer looking for crawdads. We took old cardboard boxes up in the hills behind our house and cardboard sled down VERY steep hills. We left right after breakfast and if we weren't home by the time the street lights came on we had a wooden spoon on our butt. We never washed our hands. I remember my green bike with the banana seat and at 8 getting to ride down to Cala (food store) all by myself which was about 3 miles away. I remember the ice cream man and even the milk man that came around and delivered milk in glass bottles to our little styrofoam box outside our door. I remember when it stopped and we actually had to go to the store to buy milk and my mom cried because an era had ended. I didn't understand it then, but I sure do now. I was born in 66 so I guess that makes me a GenX. My kids don't have TV and I homeschool. My kids get their mouth's washed out with soap when they are sassy and I definitely believe in the wooden spoon (my mom used to call it the Board of Education LOL). Can't really say more than that as I live in CA and don't want to be thrown in jail for child abuse. Ugh. We used to have the Cleavers, now we have the Simpsons and the Osbornes. Can't society see which direction we are going?????

Why is it getting warmer and why am I in this handbasket?
wink.png

"I definitely believe in the wooden spoon"

I always had one when the kids were little and they called it the "no-no" spoon. I rarely had to use it becaus just tapping them on the diaper with it made such a loud noise it scared them more than having to use it!! One time my son did deserve it and I popped him on the butt with it and it broke in half. I stood there stunned that I must have hit him that hard to break the spoon and then he started laughing like crazy and pulled a plastic snake out of his pocket that I had hit with that spoon and made it break! That was the endof the no-no spoon but we still laugh over that snake in the back pocket, crazy kid!!

Oh yes, im a baby boomer ,vintage 61.
Fond memories:
Pitching a tent on the naturestrip out the front and I was Annie Oakley, blew up letterboxes with bungers on long wicks.
Rode in the back of a ute.
Watching disneyland on Sundays at 6.30 pm.
Made potato guns.
hitch hiked with friends
playing cricket sunup till sundown
Wound the clock off in a HR holden at 120 MPH
cashing in bottles at the lolly shop for lollies( 2 for 1cent)
shopping late on Fridays only
shops shut at 12pm Saturday and all day Sunday.
Making blood brothers and sisters by pricking each others thumbs and pressing them together.
riding with no seatbelts.
playing fleetwood mac on the 8 track in the HR holden while watching the "submarine races" by the lake with my high school sweetheart.
My fave song was "seasons in the sun" ~ Terry jacks

I loved that era, they dont know what they are missing do they ? Pity.

Quote:
I spent time on submarines and I thought no one could see us now you tell me all the kids were watching us RACE. So much for the SILENT SERVICE, what good is being silent if everyone can see us??????????

Back
Top Bottom