to all the silkie experts out there

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sager:)silkies, Jan 9, 2012.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    I have 1 black silkie and i want to breed it to a white one i know its not good all i want to know is will i get black chicks i don't care if the chicks come out PQ i just need more blacks ty

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    They might hatch black. I put a white male with a black female and hatched all black chicks. The only way to know for certain is to try it.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You could always breed the darker ones that come out of the hatch back to the black and keep going. You most likely will be able to get back to black at some point down the line, but what do I know [​IMG]

4. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Quote:ty u for all the help

5. bluehen

bluehen New Egg

Jan 9, 2012
    sager:)silkies :

I have 1 black silkie and i want to breed it to a white one i know its not good all i want to know is will i get black chicks i don't care if the chicks come out PQ i just need more blacks ty

You will generally get black chicks........... The offspring will be dull black and have lightish undercolor if you are just keeping them as pets then this is no problem.

If you are outcrossing from your line just once to strengthen the blood then you need to put the F1 back to straight black and so on for couple of years to get the green top colour and undercolour back. imo

Blue​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by