To all you pet rat owners out there, HELP!!! Sick ratties!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gumpsgirl, Aug 9, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Three of my boys have rats. Two of them we've had for a little over a year and the other one we got a week ago from Petco. When we got the two a year ago, one of them was sick with Mycoplasma. We started her on some Zythromax, treated her for 14 days with it and she got better! Well, this new rat has introduced the Mycoplasma junk (at least that's what I'm thinking it is) back into the rat house and the one who was initially sick and cured is sick again. This time it is worse. She was sneezing so badly that her nose started bleeding and started to sneeze blood. I have put her and the new rat back on Zythromax 5 days ago and the bleeding has stopped, but the sneezing won't go away. I read this morning on a rat health site that terramycin is effective in treating the Mycoplasma. Does anyone know what dosage I need? When my chickens first got sick I used the terramycin in their waterers and am wondering if I could mix some and pour it into the rat waterer. Please help! These ratties are so loved and my boys would be so devastated if we lost them.

2. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Yes, you can put it in the waterer.. Don't give them anything else to drink though or they won't drink the medicated water.. They hate the taste of it.. Was it really red like blood or was it kind of purlplish red? The purplish red is probably just mucus or saliva that rats naturally have anyway.. Sometimes if you have a rat that likes to groom the others a lot, the others might get a kind of stained spot where they're being groomed.. Especially noticeable if the rats are light colored.. Go ahead and treat everybody.. It's can be pretty contagious.. I've also used terracycline for birds, which I'm assuming is probably the same thing as the terramycin.. For a quick fix I've used childrens tylenol drops in their water although I'd only use that for minor cases.. Next time quarantine any new rats for about a week or two just like you would most other new animals..

3. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Me not quarantining this rat has absolutely nothing to do with my other rat getting the Mycoplasma. Mycoplasma pulmonis is a bacteria present in the nasal passages of rats. They can come down with an infection if they get stressed, which might be what happened to my older rat because of the new rat and where she's had this problem before it made her more prone to have it again.

Does anyone know what the dosage for Terramycin would be?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  4. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Actually what you saw isn't blood, it's porphyrin. It means the rat is stressed and can be a sign of illness. Baytril is what we have always used for rats with infection and it would be my choice but you may have to take one of them to the vet to get a prescription for it.
    http://www.rmca.org/Articles/respir.htm

5. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thank you! I had seen that site a year ago when I treated my rat and couldn't find it again. That is very helpful! I also thank you for that bit of info. about the porphyrin. I feel more at ease knowing that her little nose isn't bleeding. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Just fyi... You should never buy pet rodents from Petco, in the future. They breed for quanity, not quality, most have never been touched by people and they almost always carry diseases and don't live long.

Good luck with your ratties, mycroplasm sure is a pain.

7. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Our first Petco just opened about 3 wks. ago so I wasn't aware of this but have since found out. Grrr.... The little girl we got is a sweetie, thank heavens. I just hope that we can save her and our dear little Whiskers. My sister told me what you did AFTER I had purchased this new rat for my son. She has dealt with Petco in the past as well. First sick chickens, now sick rats. Do you think someone is telling me to quit buying pets maybe?!?! No more pets for me or my family for quite awhile! At least until my unlucky streak is gone. [​IMG]

8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Our first Petco just opened about 3 wks. ago so I wasn't aware of this but have since found out. Grrr.... The little girl we got is a sweetie, thank heavens. I just hope that we can save her and our dear little Whiskers. My sister told me what you did AFTER I had purchased this new rat for my son. She has dealt with Petco in the past as well. First sick chickens, now sick rats. Do you think someone is telling me to quit buying pets maybe?!?! No more pets for me or my family for quite awhile! At least until my unlucky streak is gone. [​IMG]

Just buy from responsible, caring breeders! [​IMG] I hope things work out with your rat. I remember reading somewhere that a girl bought a hampster from Petco, and go figure it had mycroplasm, and that Petco paid for all its vet bills. Just something to look into! [​IMG]

I can't find many rat breeders in Virginia online (there's a million here in California) but here's one:
    Lay Critter Farm

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by