To anyone wanting to know what sex their bird is:

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wclawrence, Aug 11, 2008.

1. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

There are many people on here who look at a picture and take a guess, and are often wrong. I am not talking bad about them, but I want to help.
    If you have a bird that is say about three months old, up to 5 months (after that if it isn't pretty obvious maybe you have the wrong hobby) and you can't tell the sex, this will help you.
    THere are many things people look at to guess. But there is only one way that never misses.

If it is a rooster, it will have POINTED feathers in its back and neck.

Pick the bird up, fold the feathers on his back towards the front, and look at the newest colors coming in. If they are round, hen: If they are pointed, rooster.

Good luck, with a little practice, it will be SOOOOO easy.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:THANK YOU! I was just starting to think that, after a long period of research and confusion, but was not still really sure.

Man oh man, why couldn't you have posted this several months ago when I needed to hear it! <vbg>

This should be stickied, IMHO.

Pat

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks, you helped me out a lot. I have RIR's and could not tell them apart when they were younger. [​IMG]

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    picturs can be tricky, but let me say this, with all of my birds i was wrong once.:|

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    thank u chillin with my peeps, for saying that when u saw that pic of the white rock u first thaught leghorn, [​IMG] i to learned about the feathers when i got my first flock. i was determined to know right away so i did reaserch. the males feathers come out to a point feamals are rounded off. but i learned u cant tell until there about 3 to4 months old.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  6. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

The more chicks you raise, especially if you raise a batch of siblings out of the same rooster and hen, The better you will get at telling the sex. I can tell alot of them by the time they are two weeks old.

7. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    well i went out to see if that was right, well mine have pointy and rounded off tips and neck and tail feathers! so whats that mean? its a he/she??? or is there something im missing?

8. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I've posted a lot of photos on here of my EE chicks. Many people thought they were roos, or that they were questionable. I did the ring test when they were babies and it said all three were pullets. (Suspend a gold ring on a gold chain over a chick and if it starts to spin around in a circle it's a girl...if it swings back and forth in a straight line, it's a boy). This week (they are 19 weeks old) they started getting red combs and two of them are starting to squat. So now I know for sure they are at least 2/3rds pullets! The last one isn't getting such a red comb yet, she may just be later developing. I looked for pointed feathers and none on them, so that's a good thing!

Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

9. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Quote:Huh?!!!![​IMG]

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Huh?!!!![​IMG]

That is NOT a reliable way to sex any bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by