To apron or not to apron?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Knittycat, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I have a hen who's missing most of her back feathers. I think it's mostly from a rough roo and a grump alpha hen, but the roo is gone now (mmmmm chicken soup!) and her feathers don't seem to be growing back. I haven't seen the alpha hen peck at her lately either. I didn't apron her sooner, because except for missing feathers, there was no other damage. Her skin looks just fine! I figured they'd all be going into moult soon and her feathers would return then. But I noticed the other day a bit up by her tail is a touch sun darkened.
    Now she's gone broody and has been pretty much left alone by the other hens. Since she's cooped herself up, she's not getting much sun. And she's loosing feathers on her chest, just like a good broody.
    Should I apron her? Or should I just wait until she decides she's not broody any more and see how her feathers grow back on their own?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Maybe by the time her broody spell breaks, the feathers will have grown back. I don't think I would bother her with an apron right now.

3. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Ok. I figured I'd end up going that route, but I wanted to make sure she wasn't going to ZOMG DIE!! (or what ever [​IMG] ) if I just let it wait. Normally, I'd try and break her broody spell, but I think I'd rather give her time to grow her feathers back.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    [​IMG]

5. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I rehomed my rooster in April and my hens are just starting to get their feathers back. It may take a while. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by