To Austin Tx area breaders

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Zawieracz, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Zawieracz

Zawieracz New Egg

Sep 26, 2011
    I am looking for 6 months to a year old hens. Do you know of anyone in the Austin area that has them for sale? I have 4 hens that I bought from Callahan's, they all are brown and look the same. I was hoping to find different colors and breeds to make my chicken family more colorful.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Welcome to the forum,

Look for breeders in your area, and there is a 'wanted to buy' and 'for sale' section on BYC forum. -- I was here for awhile before I even noticed those......:Oo

Don't know your distance from these places, or how far you want to drive.....Here are two sources you may want to check out:

http://maryannfordyce.tripod.com/ - near Brenham, TX

http://www.mobilechickencoops.com/ - Burnett, TX

They advertise various ages and breeds available.

Hope you find your colorful flock, good luck!

3. jamesnoldsr

jamesnoldsr Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Central Texas
    We went to mobilechickencoops.com just yesterday. We drove all the way from Fort Worth to Burnet (a three + hour trip) for some dominique hens we called and were assured they had. We got all the way down there and they had one. One. In addition and more disturbing, the animals did not look good and none of them had any water available- and it was hot--over 100 degrees. The ducks and geese were all huddled around the empty waterers. I mentioned that the animals had no water to the guy that was trying to help us find the dominiques. He said that watering was his job and the birds were waiting for him. I hope they didn't have to wait too much longer in that heat with no water. I almost started watering them myself but was afraid that the birds would get out if I went in the pen. It was hard for us to leave without the situation being resolved, but my husband was reluctant to buy any birds from them.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:wow-Thanks for posting this.

A friend of mine is just going to buy some chickens, depending upon what is available on the market, next weekend. For us it would be some serious driving too. Especially if you call ahead and they don't have what they said they were going to have, knowing that you are traveling a long way----and if the animals don't have excellent treatment, it sounds like bad business. We will investigate other sources. Did you take the one dominique? or did you wait to get chickens elsewhere?

ETA I guess, I would have to say---it would be hard for any birds to look good in the horrid heat of late, but I appreciate knowing your insight.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  5. jamesnoldsr

jamesnoldsr Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Central Texas
    Yes we did buy the one dominique. The young man there helping us was unaware of the differences between doms and barred rocks. Luckily we had made our mistakes already so knew what we were looking for. As far as the water situation, there really was no excuse. I know birds look stressed when its hot- we live outside of Fort Worth: panting, drooping wings, etc. But a bunch of wilted looking birds crowding around an empty watering station- I'm mad at myself for not making even more of a fuss. The animals cannot speak for themselves- its up to us. But my husband was with me and I guess I was worried about embarrassing him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by