To be a rooster, to not be a rooster, that is the question...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Trevorusn, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Trevorusn

Trevorusn Chirping

Apr 15, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Howdy, this is Tan Beak 20190612_182443.jpg Tan Beak is a Black JG almost 8 weeks old. Now, since a wee little one Tan Beak has always been the boldest yet calmest of our flock of 8. Also, Tan Beak had lighter grey feet and legs compared to the normal color JG chicks, as well as the obvious tan laced black feathers. 20190612_182445.jpg So Sunday we let them free range for the first time, and Tan Beak acted as the shepard, keeping the flock together and always being the first in a new area. Tan Beak was the first to greet us when we came up to the pecking flock. My question is, due to behavior and different coloring compared to the other 3 JG pullets, is Tan Beak a strapping young cockerel?? First time raiser, hence the curiosity.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

That's a pullet and clearly NOT JG. :love

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Cute and not a Jersey Giant! From a farm store? What else did they have?
    Mystery chicks are fun!
    I'm not positive about sex yet.
    Mary

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Almost reminds me of a Danish Brown Leghorn Pullet.

HuffleClaw, Trimurtisan and penny1960 like this.
  5. Trevorusn

Trevorusn Chirping

Apr 15, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Got all 8 from TSC, and Tan Beak looked exactly like the other 3 JGs minus a tan vs black beak and slate grey vs black legs. Was reeeeaaaally hoping Tan Beak was a JG rooster.

6. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Not a Jersey Giant. BJG are black. Also their body type is not trim like yours.

This chick reminds me of my neighbors new flock (age 14 weeks) that are brown leghorns. Not sure that is what you have, but there are similarities. If a leghorn, then looks more like a female at 8 weeks, but not positive.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

My guess is black sex link. :pop

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I got a few brown Leghorns from the local TSC this spring, and this looks like my pullets, same age.
    Mary

9. Trevorusn

Trevorusn Chirping

Apr 15, 2019
    New Hampshire
    At the time they had no other black chicks, and it was a straight run of JGs. The pic is a bit deceptive, Tan Beak bodywise is the same size and "fluff" as the other 3 JGs. Never would have guessed brown leghorn, thought they were somewhat skittish??? Lol, a mystery indeed...

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

The browns are not skittish like white Leghorn..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: