To be BO or not to be BO That is the question! Updated w/pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArizonaNessa, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I have two hens that look exactly like Buff Orps except they have black tipped tails. They are very heavy birds, clean legged, single comb, cream colored legs, and lay brown eggs. Is there breed that fits this? I have raised many many buff orps and none have ever had black tipped tails. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Can you post a pic of them?

3. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Sorry my camera and photography skills are a bit lacking. They just look exactly like any other buff orp except with black tipped tails. I thought maybe someone here would know a breed that fits that description that I could just look up.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sometimes buff orps have "smut" on their tails. A couple of mine have that- it looks like they have grey pepper on the feather tips. If yours have actual black on their tails (do they have it around their necks?) they be buff columbian something.

5. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Nope it looks like you dipped their tails in black paint. No black anywhere else on their entire body. If it were not for the black tails anyone would swear they were buff orps.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wow- don't know what they are but they sound lovely [​IMG]

7. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Maybe I will give the camera another shot tomorrow when it is brighter outside. I know these questions are hard without pictures. I apologize. I just thought that maybe someone might go, " oh yeah those are probably the great buff do dos of the north!" or something and I could just look it up and see if it matched. [​IMG]

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I suggest you Google images for Red Star Sex Links and you will find your answer. I just looked around for the same answer, only I don't raise BOs, I just knew they didn't fit the BO bill. Good luck.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What color legs do they have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by